Saturday, June 7, 2014

JPC - June 7

June 7 - Home

I cheated.  Today was supposed to be "Smile" but  I'm cheating on the photo challenge and swapping June 7th and June 19th.  You'll see why -- on the 19th!  I promise it will be worth it.

You've seen pictures of my home in previous posts when we first moved here.  No need to post new pictures.  After all, we haven't made any improvements to the home whatsoever.  We've kept our budget perfectly small as my husband builds his business.  We are now to the point that we'd better start thinking of some home improvements, especially if we start thinking about selling this house and moving up north, closer to Jay's office.

This is our House Wish List



I have no idea what it will take to do all these projects.  Certainly, we cannot complete them all at once, but we'll start pricing them all out and see when we can start knocking some of these off.

I think the least expensive will be painting our kitchen cabinets.  I want to get rid of the dark oak and paint them white.  My kitchen will look totally different and more open, I think!  My laminate countertops might be an eyesore after painting, but we'll see about that when we get to that point.  Painting inside might be a good activity for avoiding the summer heat outside!

Getting rid of our living room/dining room carpet also needs to be on the list.  We could consider extending that into the main floor guest bedroom too.  Laminate flooring would be cheaper, but wood might bring more resale value.  Whatever we choose needs to hold up relatively well from water when people come in from the pool out back, not that we come in dripping wet, but sometimes you can't trust kids.

One side of our fence could use replacing.  We live on a corner lot and I think that side really takes a beating when it's windy and stormy.  Our neighbor across the street replaced his before they moved.  I'm guessing ours is due next.  Every week we're nailing in a loose board or two and posts are shifting.  When we fix or replace, I'll need to re-stain and I might go with a dark grey/black stain and get rid of the red stain that we currently have from the previous owners.  I do miss my vinyl fence back in Nebraska, but I imagine that wouldn't hold up too well here.

We have a few loose deck boards too.  That should be cheap enough and we can probably do that on our own.  If I can figure out either stripping or sanding our deck, I'd like to change the color there too.  I'd like lighter deck flooring and dark rails to match a darker fence.  I've seen the look on Pinterest and I like it!  I'll wait for cooler, fall temps to work outside on the deck.  Our deck is 2 levels and is really large because it extends around half of our pool, so that would be quite the time consuming job!

One of the things we'd really like to have is a covered portion of our deck.  A neighbor one street over, with the same model home as ours, has his deck covered, complete with lighting and ceiling fan.  We'd really like that.  We'd be more apt to spend time out back if we had something covered with a ceiling fan to keep the air moving.  Those are probably pretty costly, but I'm going to get some estimates.

I could keep our list going and going.  

The list is daunting and probably expensive!  

But it would be fun.

The house would look new and fresh.

One thing at a time.

I'll post picture when/if we tackle any of these home projects.