Friday, June 6, 2014

JPC - June 6

June 6 - Work



I have recently started pet sitting for a friend of ours.  She's military and travels at least once a month and needs help with her 2 dogs Pono and Mocha Kai.  She used to board them at PetSmart but it became too costly, so I gave it a try at our home last month.  Our house became canine central with 2 dogs of my own and 2 boarders.  We had such a fun week in May with these dogs that I knew I'd offer to do it again.

Pono and Mocha were supposed to arrive tomorrow, staying the rest of the entire month, but our friend's trip got pushed back one week, so now they arrive on Father's Day and will stay until the 30th.   I'll also have them for a week in July too.

In the meantime, you can still enjoy a photo of my best buddy, Pono from his last time here.

Is it a Photo Challenge fail to post an old picture?

Maybe.  Probably.

Do I care?

Not so much.

Pono is a Catahoula Hound, also called a Mountain Cur.  It is the State dog of Louisiana.  He has the unique tiger stripes which make him the most handsome thing ever.  Our friend found him wandering her neighborhood when she moved in and took him into her home.  Strays are a big problem in San Antonio.  He is a pup at only about a year and a half old and he has puppy energy!  He is a strong, big lug too!    At first it was hard for Jay and I to control him because his owner had him in a harness which gave the dog all the power on leash.  I immediately put him into a slip lead like the Dog Whisperer uses and Pono submitted to my leadership immediately!  Talk about empowering for short, out of shape, little old me, to walk through the neighborhood with such a strong breed heeling nicely at my side!

Pono and my Mack get along so well!  They are constantly wrestling!  All day long!  Non stop!  At night, they both sleep like rocks, tired out from the day's activity.  With adults and kids alike, Pono is one big, giant, heavy, lapdog.  He is an absolute love!  He has tried to get onto my couches, which we don't allow but he has jumped into my bed which I am not so apt to stop.  More snuggle time for me and he eats it up!

I'll get a picture of Mocha Kai when she arrives.  She's a different breed.  I forget what mix.  She is an older dog and she's every bit a "female dog," if you know what I mean.  Don't worry, our friend was the one to warn me using those same words.  Mocha has a bad attitude and it's always directed at her brother Pono, never my dogs or my kids.  She also needs to be fed alone as she is very territorial with her food and the other dogs.  She is a good girl one-on-one though and she loves to be massaged as she takes supplements for aching joints.

My kids and I are having fun with our pet sitting job.  My boys do good work!  It is hard on my boys when the dogs leave though.  My boys attach to animals so naturally.  Our home is open to more friends' pets too, so if you know of anyone looking for a petsitter, let us know.  At some point, I'd love to have an acreage where I could have my own boarding facilities on our property and have a home-based business, if neighborhood covenants allow.

That would be a dream that my kids and I would love!

Anxious for Pono and Mocha to arrive next weekend!