Tuesday, June 3, 2014

JPC - June 3

June 3 - Table



I like a clean home.  I do!  My mom always kept our home spotless when I was growing up.  There were 3 of us kids, a dog, a cat, and white carpet it was always spotless.  OK, we didn't always have the white carpet, but the house was still always immaculate.

When I had just 1 child, my house was easy to clean.  It was almost always presentable for impromptu guests.

When child #2 came along, the house wouldn't always be as presentable.  I could whip through pretty quickly though, in a few moments, if someone announced a unscheduled visit.

With 3 children, there's no time to clean.  I should put an "Enter at your own risk!" sign on my front door.  I like to say now that having friends over for scheduled visits forces me to clean.

This is our dining room table today.  We bought this table at Ikea when we were in the adoption process and needed a larger table for our growing family.  I love the 2 leaves in this table!  We eat here when we entertain.  I love entertaining.  I homeschool at this table.  I love homeschooling!

I very much prefer it to be just the table runner and my glass vase with silk flowers and Lake Michigan rocks.  Simple and clean.  No clutter, no mess.  Contemporary.  Less is more.  Today, and most days sadly, it looks like this.  Chairs askew, stacks of mail and papers to be filed, multiple pens, library and/or school books scattered, snack dishes that never made it to the kitchen sink, a toddler's smeared banana, toys, iPad, water bottle and comb, my cell phone, keys, Jay's wallet, and this week only, Jay's MRI films.

This is life in my home.  It's messier than I want it to be, but it's the season in which we find ourselves.

Enter at your own risk!