Monday, December 1, 2014

Ornament #1

Welcome to the Christmas Ornament Challenge!  Here is my first installment.

I wasn't sure where to start: with an old ornament or a new one, or somewhere in between.  Dilemma.

I chose one of the oldest ornaments we have on the tree.  This is a felt drum that my mom and her friend Sue made back in the 70's in our old neighborhood in Burnsville, Minnesota.  My mom and Sue made a ton of felt ornaments, not just drums.  But all sorts of felt ornaments hung on our Christmas tree when I was a kid.  Only when I was a teenager, did my mom upgrade to a more formal tree and the felt ornaments have been in boxes ever since.  This is the only one that I have.  My brother Darin has his favorite black and white whale.  I'm not sure if Todd has any.  Maybe he has a drum or two as well.

If my mom digs out her old felt ornaments, oh, the stories those tell!  We have Mr. & Mrs. Claus who were so tattered that we laughed until tears ran down our faces because they were such a wreck.  The couple Claus looked quite strung out or drunk off their a$$es or something!  Hysterical!  Sue's daughters Kendra and Heather speak of the Christmas Hooker ornaments.  These I don't recall quite as well.  If they make a photo appearance, I'll be sure to forward.

But this drum is probably as old as I am -- 40 years old.  It makes me think of my childhood Christmases.  Good times.