Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 9 - CA

Today was our last adoption appointment - the Consulate Appointment. Our driver met us in the lobby at 9am and we took a short 15 minute drive to the US Consulate which happens to be right next to Ikea. God bless Sweden, the land of my ancestors! My guide was waiting for me outside as she had to pick up L's medical report this morning at the International Travel Clinic.

We went inside but we were there early and had to wait for about 20 minutes in the hall. Then all guides left us and we were on our own. We were told to "take the escalator up and turn left," which we did (by we I mean us plus maybe a dozen other adopting families, maybe more). We went through security and I was asked to leave my diaper bag outside the room. Phones and iPads and laptops I understand, but my whole diaper bag? It had all the Cheerios, water bottles and a couple of toys to keep L entertained. Oh well. In typical L fashion, she was all over the place. All of us waited around, with no direction, hoping we were in the right place and doing the right thing. After maybe 20 minutes an American woman behind the glass came over the microphone, welcomed us, and told us what would happen. She even thanked us and said that they all understand what we've been through to bring our kids home over the many months and years. It was really quite a genuine comment that brought tears to my eyes. She gets it. We raised our right hands and took our oath stating that all of our paperwork was true and correct. That surprised me because my agency said we'd return in the afternoon for our oath. I wonder why.

Our last names were called one by one, in no particular order. While we waited, I joined some of the families I had dinner with last night and I met another gal whom I had met in the Facebook DTC group. When our name was called, L threw a tantrum when I had to pick her up, away from the toys they had in the room to head to the counter. Thank goodness it was only a quick 5 minutes to sign the paper, turn in a folder of paperwork and L's Chinese passport, and get out of there! The Chinese gentleman behind the counter was very gracious to me with my screaming daughter.

We retrieved our diaper bag and met our guide downstairs in the lobby and we were off to a local history museum here in Guangzhou. While we were there, L and I enjoyed our very first tea party! We were invited to tea in one of the shops inside the museum and the woman pouring tea let me try lots of different teas and I didn't have to pay anything for it! The first tea I had was made of orange peel and it was by far my favorite. L got to try some too since it is so healthy and will help her cough, which is almost gone. Then I tried a green tea while L munched on a biscuit. I had mentioned that white tea is my favorite and the woman immediately brought out a white tea for me to try. It is made with a chrysanthemum that opens up in the water as the tea brews. It is most often served in a clear tea glass because it is so beautiful. It was delicious and gorgeous. I was in tea heaven and loving every minute of it.

We visited other shops and my guide told me that the prices for jade and calligraphy were quite good, but I knew we'd be stopping at a store for a stroller later, plus I'd have to tip our driver, so I held back and didn't buy anything. I kind of regret it now because it turns out I would have had plenty of cash on me. I would have loved a jade bracelet for L and a matching one for me. Oh well. It's not about the stuff. This trip is about my daughter and we need to watch our budget. She's the biggest gift of all!

We enjoyed the museum and the shops then it was off to a store called Carrefour for a much needed stroller. Best 179 yuan ($28) I ever spent! L immediately loved it and rode in it inside the van too (again, no car seats here). It is already so much easier for me, even though wearing her in my Mobi Wrap is best for bonding.

Tonight we headed to a Cantonese restaurant around the corner at the Dong Fang Hotel, the place I was supposed to stay at originally. My guide said the restaurant was very reasonable and she said they have the best fried rice around. It's her favorite. It did not disappoint! L proceeded to eat nearly an entire plate of fried rice complete with green onion that was bigger then her head, I kid you not. I had a plate of beef noodles that were just a bit spicy and wonderful! I was the only foreigner in there and no one spoke English. That was fun!

Tonight we lost power in our hotel room. The Internet went out too. That was interesting. I called the front desk and they sent up and engineer who must have flipped a fuse in the ceiling. Odd. It's not like I had anything plugged in - not even the hot pot for boiling water. After that, L went to bed beautifully and is sound asleep in her crib as I type this.

Tomorrow is a free day and the only thing we have on the schedule is to meet my guide between 4-4:30 in the lobby to receive L's passport and US visa, our final documents to bring her home! I plan to ask her if she can translate L's scrapbook from the orphanage since I didn't have time to do that in Xi'an. Then I may ask her if I can treat her to dinner.

Have a great day! Next post will be our final day in China! I'm excited and again, please, please be praying for a calm little girl on all these flights home. She is one stubborn little girl - probably the Tiger in her.
My guide in GZ, Lucy, helping with L with tea.  Our first Tea Party!!!
All dressed up for our Consulate Appointment.
Loving the stroller from Carrefour.
Mama and L in the van on the way to our Consulate Appointment.
Art museum in GZ.