Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 10 - Final Thoughts from China

Today is our last day in China.  I am very excited to be going home as it feels like I've been gone for a month at times.  At the same time, it is sad to know that I'm taking L from her birth country.  

In a perfect, sinless world, adoption would not even be necessary.  We'd have no need for a Savior and children would be cared for by parents who love them and there would be no war and famine, no pain and suffering.  But we don't live in a world like that.  There is pain and suffering, there are people and children in great need, we do not know peace, people do go hungry and oh, do we ever need a Savior!  I'm forever grateful to be adopted into His family and I'm honored and privileged to be raising one of His daughters as such a reflection.

Adoption is a miracle!  And here's a note to those of you who ever had the slightest, faintest idea that maybe you could adopt.  In two words...  DO IT!  I'm not saying adoption is for everyone.  We are all called to care for the orphan.  The Bible is crystal clear on that.  Those of you who have supported us financially, physically, emotionally, tangibly, prayerfully, you have served an orphan.  To that, God will say, "Well done!"  

But I know there are a few of you out there whom I know personally who have expressed an interest in adoption.  Do it!  Yes, the road was long.  Yes, the road was ugly (and still may be - hold on for the flights home and adjustment to our family).  Yes, it is expensive.  Yes, it is emotionally, spiritually, physically and financially draining.  You really want to do it now, don't you?  

Our adoption was all of the above and then some.  But I can say wholeheartedly now that it was worth it.  L is worth it!  Following God's call on our lives is worth it!  There is no feeling quite like this - being at the end of a long journey and to know that we were faithful to God and His call and He did indeed provide for everything!  He's just that amazing.

You know how a woman says that after her child is born, all the pain of childbirth is erased from memory?  I was never like that.  I remember waking up at 2am biting my pillow with contractions 5 minutes apart.  I remember the pain of 2 c-sections.  Adoptive parents say similar things, that once you have your child in your arms, the pain and the trial of adoption is a distant memory.  Well, that's not the case with me either.  I still painfully remember losing Nepal and all our savings that we invested.  I remember the agonizing 130+ days waiting for our LOA from China.  I'll never understand why some people adopt so easily yet we had to struggle so.  I'll never forget the agony of trying to adopt in a broken system.  

But the journey is worth it, if God is calling you to it.  Let me know how I can pray for you and support you.  I want to pay it forward for all those who have blessed us in our journey. This has been the biggest act of faith I've ever taken.  My life has been forever changed. I want to dedicate the rest of my life to the defending the cries of the orphan.

Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment