Monday, June 6, 2016

Makeover Monday -- Master Bedroom

Looking back, my May posts weren't too uplifting.  Ugh.  Heavy, ugly stuff.  Not pretty.  Now it's time for some fun.

I've completed our personalization of our master bedroom.  I didn't include this in my "Fixer Upper series," because so far, this is just paint on the walls and ceiling and dressers.  I haven't tackled the honey oak in this room yet.

I intended to use our Spring Break to get this done, but we took a long weekend to get away to Chicago and I came home with a miserable sinus cold that knocked me down for the remainder of the week. So, my goal was to get the bedroom painted during the month of April.

We chose Benjamin Moore's Silver Lining color, using Behr paints and a color match at Home Depot.  The ceiling is the same Behr Ceiling White that I did in the kids' rooms.

This is not our furniture.
I realized that the only BEFORE picture I had was from when we were looking at the house
while the owners were still living here (or at least in the process of moving).
But still gives you an idea of the boring beige walls.
And heck, even they had honey oak furniture!


More photos from the previous owner.
Just another angle of the room.
Notice those crazy hooks on each wall by the bed?
I still laugh at those and love that we could re-purpose them elsewhere.

Benjamin Moore Silver Lining

But I couldn't stop there.  You see, I had furniture -- honey oak furniture -- to paint too.  Ugh.

In May, I started with my nightstand.  That was easy to move to the deck for sanding, priming and painting.  Jay's nightstand didn't come with the set and it was already painted black, so that was one thing I didn't need to worry about even though it really could use some touch-ups.  Phew!  I will admit though, I'm such a huge fan of Fixer Upper that I second guessed painting the furniture black.  Joanna typically likes light or white furniture.  I feared black dressers would be overwhelming in a small bedroom, but our Ikea bed was already black, so I felt it was the direction we had to go.

My nightstand freshly painted
against my freshly painted walls.

After painting the nightstand, we had a week full of rain.  Every single day it rained.  So, no chance of moving my dresser outside to paint.  So, I lost a week and waited as patiently as I could.  Can I say that I HATE living with piles of clothes not in their rightful place while dressers are being painted?!?!  What a mess!  And our bedrooms are NOT big in this house.  No room for junk on the floors.  Everything went to the guest room.

My completed dresser.
I need to buy a pair of new metal runners for the drawers
because movers bent them and
2 drawers don't slide easily anymore.


While Jay was on a short business trip, I was able to get his dresser done.  That way he didn't have to be frustrated with all his clothes downstairs on our guest room bed during his regularly scheduled workweek.  But it meant that I was desperate for good weather.  Of course, we didn't get it.  Rain for 2 days.  So, I moved everything into the garage and parked my van in the driveway.  And the finished dresser was way too heavy for the boys and I to move upstairs, so Jay and I did that together on Friday afternoon when he was back home.

Jay's completed dresser.

A few resale shop finds, some decor from cheap ol' Walmart, and a mirror from Big Lots (seriously cheap mirrors there, people) and here we are today.  Our room is put back together and looking better.

Done!
Except for all the honey oak.



So relaxing now that it's done and
feels more like us.


The wall color is much more blue than we expected.  The paint card looked much more grey.  It all depends on the lighting.  But we like it.  And it will look better once I tackle all that honey oak trim and doors to a bright white like my fireplace downstairs.  I am itching to pull up the disgusting 20-year old carpet in our 3 upstairs bedrooms and have laminate installed!  Both the master bathroom and kids' bathroom need paint too.  I think I have the kids' bathroom color picked out but need to decide on the master bath color.  Someone seriously please help me pick out a color there!

Now that we can have windows open more often, I'll likely get to all that honey oak and my Fixer Upper blog series.  What will be first?  Maybe a bathroom, maybe the kitchen.  Not sure.  Stay tuned. And send help!  All this honey oak is bleeping overwhelming!