Monday, August 11, 2014

First Day of School - Part I

It's the first day of school for Super C and Super E and we are excited!

The books are unpacked from shipping boxes, school supplies have been purchased.  We are ready for another year.

How can I possibly have a junior higher?

Super C is officially a junior high-er, I guess.  He's beginning 6th grade.  Sixth grade was still elementary school when I was a kid, but around here, 6th grade is junior high.  This year is one of the favorite years among Sonlight Curriculum parents.  This is our unit all about Asia!  Having ties to China and Japan, I am super excited to learn and re-learn right along with Super C, even if I had read most of the Japanese books to him back when were were living in Nebraska years ago!  We are sharing math curriculum with a friend, but we surely hope to breeze through 2 years of math in 1 year like we did before.  Math is Super C's forte, so if he wants to push, I'll let him push.  That's the beauty of homeschool!  Super C is excited to start blogging this year!  He'll be publishing some kid-friendly blogs under a pseudonym that I'll be sure to share.

All 3 enjoying Super C's interactive CD-ROM Encyclopedia.
Starting the year off with China!

Super E is entering 2nd grade.  We were able to borrow curriculum for him from my friend Amy back in Nebraska this year, with a few added pieces from my local friend Jamie, plus a few "readers" ordered from Amazon Prime.  Borrowing makes such a huge difference considering Super C's curriculum was over $450 USED!  [gulp]  He has quite the stack of books on his shelf too.  He's looking forward to learning about the Vikings and has promised to work hard on reading and math this year.  Today he shocked me with the chapter he read in his reader.  Now, if he can gain confidence to read in front of others.  He even hates to read for his dad and clams up!  We are switching math curriculum this year because a local friend of mine had one for sale that she will be letting me borrow for the year.  I'm lending her some handwriting curriculum.  Looking forward to trying Saxon math with Super E.

Using the easel in the kitchen for spelling practice.
Tuesday afternoons we'll have our homeschool group.  It's not a full fledged co-op, but I use that term nonetheless.  I'm on the board this year, so that gives me added responsibilities for sure.  Both boys and I are also looking forward to taking tennis lessons on Wednesday morning this year.  Even I get to join in.  Will be fun to play again.  I was the boys' ages when I took lessons every summer and I loved it!

I think it will be a busy year!

As you recall from my previous post, Miss Quiet Tiger will be going to pre-school this fall!  The first day for her isn't until August 25.  We like our homeschool to be just a couple of weeks ahead of public school, so we start with the boys now and the girl will go when school opens.  She is looking forward to it, as am I, although she is plenty miffed that she can't take tennis lessons with us.  I'll be sure to post all about her big school day when it arrives.

Here's to a fantastic year of school for all THREE of my kids!