Thursday, February 11, 2016

Year of the Monkey

Happy Lunar New Year!  Welcome Year of the Monkey!

I really hate to admit this.  Chinese New Year snuck up on me this year.  I seriously thought I had another week to prepare.  Sure, we had been to the library and requested basically every single CNY book we could find from our library system, but I didn't even think of bringing up my red lanterns and lion head until Super Bowl Sunday.

Our library haul

Ah, Super Bowl.  One of my husband's favorite days of the year.  So, I was busy with that, preparing a meal plan of snacks that my husband and boys picked out.  Then I realized that CNY was on Monday.  Oops.


So, in a whirlwind weekend the kids and I wrapped up school for the week on Friday morning and then went to resale shops that afternoon in search of monkeys.  Success!


I cleaned house on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, keeping tradition of "sweeping out the bad luck and preparing for good luck."  My house hadn't had a good deep clean in a long while, so it felt good to get that done.  I had more recently borrowed a friend's carpet cleaner too, so we really did get a good deep clean.  So long, bad luck!
Just a side note, these Hoover carpet cleaners are the best!
If you happen to be in the market for one, these clean better than anything I've ever used.

On Sunday, after watching church online, scrubbing bathrooms, and in between making Super Bowl snacks, I brought up the few decorations I have for CNY.  I really intended to add more to our decor this year, but failed at that.




I asked friends to come over for a CNY dinner on Monday, but their kids had cruddy colds, so we agreed it best to not share the germs.  They celebrated early anyway since the dad had a business trip that next week.  I considered celebrating later in the week, so I could be better prepared, but I pushed through to give my daughter a festive day.

On Monday I dressed my daughter in her qipao that she got for Christmas, gold in color because yellow is her favorite color.  We did a photoshoot.  Here are my absolute favorite shots.






I ran to the store for as many Chinese ingredients as I could find (which isn't much here in Elk River, without driving in closer to the Cities for Asian grocers).  Cub Foods has the best variety, though, much to my surprise.

Dinner was a success!

Jiaoxi (dumplings)
Pan Fried Noodles
Fried Rice

For dessert we had tangerines.

I found our stash of red envelopes.  Since I couldn't find chocolate coins anywhere, I actually kept tradition and gave them each money inside the envelope.  But this year I ran to the bank and asked if they had $1 coins or $2 bills.  They did!  So, they have something more collectible and not something I'd want them to spend.  That was fun in the red envelopes.


Despite it being last minute and with no fun outings to lion dances or anything, I'd call it a successful Chinese New Year!

China friends, next year it's even earlier -- the end of January, so check those calendars!  I'll plan on being better prepared next year.

Happy Lunar New Year from our family to yours!